Musikmesse 2013 (music fair) is happening right now in Frankfurt Germany and therefore, a lot of new equipment will be introduced in the next few days.
We'll pick the most interesting ones for Swing DJs – from our point of view – and present them here on Swing DJ Resources.
Let's start with the ultra-portable professional DJ controller by Numark.
What They Say
Mixtrack Edge sports rugged Numark build quality, built-in audio, sleek aluminum platters, and a design that is less than one inch thin [editor's note: 1 inch = 2.54 cm].
“This is a controller for every DJ,” said Chris Roman, Numark Product Manager. “Mixtrack Edge incorporates capabilities and design elements that make it a perfect go-to controller for cocktail hours, minimalist setups, or to keep with you all the time to work on or use for pre-gig prep.”
- Slim low-profile design with integrated cover to protect control surface
- Sync, hot cue, loop controls, and 2 effects controls on each channel
- Built-in audio interface for headphone cueing and PA system output
- Metal platters for pitch bend, pitch fade, song select, and cue mix
- Brushed aluminum control surface with bright backlit buttons
- Class-compliant with both Mac® and PC, no driver required
- Standard MIDI for use with most popular DJ software
- USB-powered, no power adapter required
- Virtual DJ LE® software included
Expected price: $149/£129. Availability: “later in 2013”
Video Demo by Digital DJ Tips
What We Say
This seems to be an interesting gadget when you're travelling a lot and you're looking for an extra device to control your DJ software, it's in the size of an iPad and fits in any bag.
Since it's class compliant with Mac, we can expect to connect an iPad running djay or another DJ app via the Apple camera connection kit.
What is missing is an EQ section which is really necessary for Swing DJs playing music in the range from the 1920s to nowadays.
What do you say about the Mixtrack Edge? Will we see more and more Swing DJs using controllers and iPads? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.